During the period under review, the company's corporate social responsibility towards its immediate and surrounding communities, especially in respect of community development, health and education, the environment and other social welfare, was again demonstrated in the various projects executed during the year and other donations both in cash and in the company's products to various institutions and community centres.
In response to the rising unemployment population among the youths in Nigeria, one of the major projects carried out by the company during the period is the continuation of the Youth Enterprise Development Initiative tagged “KICK START” initiated in 2016.
The Kick Start program is aimed at creating a culture of entrepreneurship among young people by promoting business awareness and material support through the development of business skills by training; providing grants as start-up capital for new businesses or grants to support expansion of existing businesses; and providing post investment support through mentoring and coaching.
The amount expended on the program as at 31 December, 2017 was thirty-six million, two hundred and forty eight thousand Naira (N36.248 million)(March 2017: N36.248 million, 2016: N34 million).
Other beneficiaries of the corporate social responsibility program of the company are as listed below.
Total expenditure for the period (including donations) was about N55 million (2016: N80 million). This excludes
gifts in company products during the period. It is worthy of note that corporate social responsibility initiatives of this nature were also carried out in the other areas of the company's operation- Onitsha and Porthacourt earlier in the year, but none within the consolidated period 13 November - 31 December, 2017.
Community projects and donations during the year included the following (in Naira):
- Construction Of Garden Park At Erin Jesa Waterfall 16million
- Construction & Commissioning Of Sports Pavilion(Fed School Of Science&Tech,Ilesa) 3million
- Provision & Commisioning Of Borehole, Scaffold And Tank(Imobi-Jesa) 2million
- Provision Of Water Well For Doctors Quarter(Wesley Hospital, Ilesa) 0.35million
- Support For Renovation Of Block Of Classrooms(Aromolaran Middle Sch, Ilesa) 0.35million
- Provision & Commissioning Of Borehole & Water Tanks (Mokola Cultural Centre Community 2million
- Medical Missions To Omi Asoro Community 1million
- Don't Drink And Drive Campaign With Federal Road Safety Commission 0.5million
- Donation Of Food Items to the Previlege Homes (Ilesa) 1million
- Special Donations To Esa Odo Community 2million